Hurricane season begins with the storm averted |  Pinellas County

Hurricane season begins with the storm averted | Pinellas County

The National Hurricane Center had predicted there would be an 80% chance of a tropical depression in the northwest Caribbean or southeast Gulf of Mexico on June 1, the first day of hurricane season in the Atlantic basin.

The NHC said environmental conditions appeared favorable for a gradual development, as the storm headed down a path that could have affected Tampa Bay and Pinellas County. But fortunately that was not the case, other than torrential rain in some parts of the state.

It was the early morning of June 5 before the system had solidified enough to become the first named storm of the season. By that time, Tropical Storm Alex was 165 miles east-northeast of Fort Pierce and 690 miles west-southwest of Bermuda.

Alex was expected to move north of Bermuda on Monday and continue to move east over the open waters of the Atlantic before dissipating on Thursday. There were no other systems on the map until Sunday noon.

Season look

National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration watchers released their seasonal forecast for the hurricane season on May 24. The Climate Prediction Center expects 2022 to be the seventh consecutive year for an above-average season.

Forecasts are for a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a lower-than-normal season with 14 to 21 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), from six to 10 hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher) and three to six major hurricanes (category 3, 4, or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher).

NOAA provided several reasons for its prediction of increased activity including persistent La Niña that will likely continue throughout this year’s hurricane season, warmer-than-average sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic and Caribbean Seas, weakening tropical Atlantic trade winds, and strengthening monsoons. in West Africa.

Hurricane season lasts until November 30. And Alex was a reminder that it’s never too early to prepare.

For the latest tropical weather forecast, visit https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/.

New evacuation areas

Pinellas County recently updated its evacuation zones. To locate your evacuation zone, visit storm.pinellascounty.org. Residents can also define their own evacuation areas by:

• Find it on the following Pinellas County Utilities bill (Note: Bills received before May 2022 may not contain the updated area.)

• Call 727-453-3150 (landlines only)

About 93,000 residents of Pinellas were affected by the change of area. More than 34,000 addresses have moved from a low-risk area to a high-risk area (for example, area B to area A), while about 13,600 addresses have moved from a high-risk area to a low-risk area (Area A to Area B).

Evacuation zones are different from flood zones and residents who live in a motorhome, manufactured home, or recreational vehicle must evacuate if any area is ordered to be evacuated.

“Knowing your evacuation zone is one of the most important steps in preparing for hurricane season, and it can save your life,” said Cathy Perkins, director of emergency management for Pinellas County. “Once you know your risks, you can make a plan for what you and your family will do if a hurricane comes our way.”

Pinellas County’s 2022 All-Hazard Preparedness Guide provides information on how to prepare for hurricane season. Evidence is available for collection at local libraries, Pinellas County offices, and city halls. It can also be found online at storm.pinellascounty.org.

Individuals and organizations who want more than five copies of the All-Hazard Preparedness Manual can pick it up from the following locations:

• Lealman Exchange, 5175 45th St.N, St. Open Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm

• Center 1500 16th Street Palm Harbor. Open Monday to Thursday 8am to 8pm, Friday 8am to 4:30pm and Saturday 10am to 2pm

sales tax holiday

The tax break for disaster preparedness sales continues through June 10. The following hurricane preparation supplies will be tax deductible:

• Self-powered portable light source $40 or less;

• Selling some self-powered portable radios for $50 or less;

• Selling fabrics for $100 or less.

• Selling ground mounting systems or mounting kits for $100 or less;

• A gas or diesel fuel tank priced at $50 or less;

• Packs of certain types of batteries, selling for $50 or less;

• Non-electric food storage cooler $60 or less;

• Portable generators that sell for $1,000 or less.

• Selling reusable ice for $20 or less;

• Portable power bank selling for $60 or less;

• Smoke detectors or smoke alarms sell for $70 or less.

• Fire extinguishers that sell for $70 or less.

• Carbon monoxide detectors priced at $70 or less;

• Portable kennels or pet carriers that sell for $100 or less.

• dry pet food weighing 15 pounds or less and selling for $30 or less;

• Cans or bags of pet food sell for $2 or less;

• Manual can openers sell for $15 or less;

• Leashes, collars, and respirators sell for $20 or less;

• Collapsible or travel-sized food/water containers $15 or less;

• cat litter 25 pounds or less selling for $25 or less;

• cat litter trays $15 or less;

• Pet litter bags sell for $15 or less.

• Pet pillows for $20 or less;

• Selling hamster or rabbit pedestal for $15 or less; And the

• Pet beds for $40 or less.

Suzette Porter is the editor of TBN’s Pinellas County. She can be reached at [email protected]

Map provided by NOAA

There has been a large area of ​​unregulated low pressure rain and thunderstorms located over the northwest Caribbean and the Yucatan Peninsula may become a tropical depression in the next couple of days.

Image courtesy of NOAA

NOAA forecasters released their seasonal forecast for the hurricane season on May 24. The forecast calls for a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of an below-normal season.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.